single molecule nanoscopy
Carbon dots for specific labeling
Single Molecule FRET
Chayan K. Nandi (Principal Investigator)
- B. Sc. In Chemistry, University of Burdwan WB, 1998
- M. Sc. in Physical Chemistry University of Burdwan, WB, 2000
- PhD in Physical Chemistry, IIT Kanpur, 2001-2006.
- Post-doctoral fellow, Princeton University, USA 2009-2010
- Post-doctoral fellow, Geothe University, Germany 2006-2009
- Assistant Professor, 2010-2015, IIT Mandi, HP, India
- Associate Professor, June 2015-till date, IIT Mandi, India
- Competed one post-doctoral fellow
- Completed 3 PhD students
- At present supervising 4 PhD students
- Currently 6 masters students; completed 3
- intern students completed 15
Awards and honors
- 2018 (June): Visiting Professor, Gottingen University
- 2017 (Sept): Best Teaching at IIT Mandi : excellence in Chemistry
- 2016 (Feb): IIT Mandi Outstanding Faculty for innovative research
- 2015 (Sep): DST &DBT travel grant : conference in Berlin Germany
- 2012 (Aug): SERB DST Fast Track Project
- 2011 (Dec) : visiting Professor Braunschweig, Germany
- 2007-2008: Alexander Von Humboldt Fellow, Frankfurt, Germany
- 2001-2005: JRF &SRF (CSIR, India)
- 2001 & 2002: Nation eligibility Test India (CSIR)
- 2001: Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering India (GATE).
- 2000: 2nd rank in the M. Sc. Chemistry (Burdwan University, WB)
- 1998: Gold Medal in B. Sc. (Bankura Christian College)
Dr. Chayan Kanti Nandi,
School of Basic Sciences,
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi,
HP 175001, India
Teaching experience (more than 10 years)
- CY-701: Advanced Physical Methods in Chemistry
- IC 101: Basic Chemistry
- IC 101P: Chemistry Lab
- IC 201: Design Practicum
- CY 511: Spectroscopy and Molecular Symmetry
- CY 512: Quantum Chemistry
- CY 513: Chemical Thermodynamics
- CY 514: Molecular Reaction Dynamics
- CY 511P: Physical Chemistry lab
- DP 501P:Design Practicum I
- DP 503P:Design Practicum III
- DP 505P:Design Practicum V
Our research group at present is focusing on nanomaterials, especially carbon dots, quantum dots, gold nanoparticls etc for the fundamental understanding of their structure and functional relationship and various state of art applications such as dynamical information of protein corona, target specific drug delivery, nano-sensor for small pollutants and biomolecules. Advanced single molecule techniques such as Forster resonance Energy Transfer (smFRET) and super resolution imaging for dynamical information of cellular component down to nanometer level have also been established in our lab.
- Carbon Coated Core-Shell Multifunctional Fluorescent SPIONS” Ashish Tiwari, Navneet C. Verma, Anup Singh, Chayan K Nandi*, Jaspreet K Randhawa, Nanoscale 2018 (DOI:10.1039/C8NR01941J).
- “Mechanistic Insight into Carbon Dots: Protonation Induced Fluorescence” Syamantak Khan, Prashant Gupta, Navnte C Verma, Sanjhal jain, Souvik Ghosh and Chayan K Nandi*, J. mater. Sci. Eng (2018, In Press)(Invited article)
- “Polymer Stabilized Bimetallic Alloy Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Catalytic Application”, Charu Dwivedi, Abhishek Chaudhary, Srija Srinivasan and Chayan K Nandi*, Coll. Int. Sci. Comm. 24, 62, 2018.
- ‘Nitrogen doped biocompatable carbon dots as a fluorescent probe for STORM nanoscopy’ Navneet C Verma, Chethana and Chayan K Nandi J. Phys. Chem.C 122, 4704,2018.(IF=4.8)
- ‘Phase engineering of seamless heterophase homojunctions with co-existing 3R and 2H phases in WS2 monolayers’ Pawan Kumar , Navneet C. Verma , Natasha Goyal , Jayeeta Biswas, Saurabh Lodha, Chayan K. Nandi and B. Viswanath Nanoscale 10, 3320, 2018 (IF=7.4)
- ‘Facile embedding of gold nanostructures in the hole transporting layer for efficient polymer solar cells’ Abdus S.Sarkar, A.D. Rao, A.K. Jagdish, A. Gupta, Chayan K. Nandi, P. Ramamurthy, S. K. Pal, Organic Electronics 54, 148, 2018 (IF=3.4).
- ‘Carbon dots for Single Molecule Imaging of the Nucleolus’ Syamantak Khan, Navneet C. Verma, Chethana, Chayan K. Nandi* ACS Applied Nanomaterials 1, 483, 2018 (IF=Awaited)
- ‘Small Molecular Organic Nanocrystals Resemble the Properties of Carbon Nanodots’ Syamantak Khan, Akshita Sharma, Sourav Ghoshal, Sanjhal Jain, Montu K. Hazra, Chayan K. Nandi* Chem. Sci. 9,175, 2018 (IF=8.67) (Invited article).
- ‘Charge-Driven Fluorescence Blinking in Carbon Nanodots’ Syamantak Khan, Weixing Li, Narain Karedla, Jan Thiart, Ingo Gregor, Anna M. Chizhik, Jörg Enderlein, Chayan K. Nandi* and Alexey I. Chizhik. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 8, 5751, 2017 (IF=9.35).
- Labelling Proteins with Carbon Nanodots Chethana Rao, Syamantak Khan, Navneet C. Verma, and Chayan Kanti Nandi,* Chem. Bio. Chem. 10, 1, 2017 (IF=3.08).
- PC12 live cell ultrasensitive neurotransmitter signaling using high quantum yield sulphur doped carbon dots and its extracellular ion dependence Abhishek Gupta, Chayan Kanti Nandi* Sensors and Actuators B 245, 137, 2017 (IF=4.7).
- “Single molecule analysis of fluorescent Carbon dots towards localization based super-resolution microscopy” Navneet C. Verma, Syamantak Khan and Chayan K. Nandi* Methods and Application in Fluorescence 4,044006, 2016 (IF=2.4).
- “Carbon Dots for Naked Eye Colorimetric Ultrasensitive Arsenic and Glutathione Detection” Abhishek Gupta, Navneet Chandra Verma, Syamantak Khan and Chayan K Nandi* Biosensors and Bioelectronics 81, 465, 2016 (IF=7.5).
- “Paper Strip based and Live Cell Ultrasensitive Lead Sensor using Carbon Dots Synthesized from Biological Media” Abhishek Gupta, Navneet Chandra Verma, Syamantak Khan, Shalini Tiwari, Abhishek Chaudhary and Chayan Kanti Nandi*. Sensors and Actuators B 232, 107, 2016 (IF=4.7).
- “Effect of surface chemistry and morphology of gold nanoparticle on the structure and activity of common blood proteins” Abhishek Chaudhary, Syamantak Khan, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* New. J. Chem. 40, 4879, 2016 (IF=3.23).
- “Time Resolved Emission Reveals Ensembles of Emissive States as the Origin of Multicolor Fluorescence in Carbon Dots”Syamantak Khan, Abhishek Gupta, Navneet C Verma and Chayan K Nandi,* Nano Letters 15, 8300, 2015. (IF=13.78).
- “Nitrogen Doped Thiol Functionalized Carbon Dots for Ultrasensitive Hg (II) Detection” Abhishek Gupta, Abhishek Chaudhary, Pooja Mehta, Charu Dwivedi, Syamantak Khan, Navneet Chandra Verma, Chayan K Nandi*. Chem. Comm. 51, 10750, 2015 (IF=6.83).
- “Reversible Photoswitcing in Carbon Dots” Syamantak Khan, Navneet Chandra Verma, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* Sci. Rep. (Nature) 5, 11423, 2015 (IF=5.57).
- “Direct Visualization of Lead Corona and its Nanomolar Colorimetric Detection using Anisotropic Gold Nanoparticles” Charu Dwivedi, Abhishek Chaudhary, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* “ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7, 5039, 2015 (IF=7.2).
- “Lysine and Dithiothretol Promoted Ultrasenstive Optical and Colorimetric Detection of Mercury Using Anisotropic Gold nanoparticles” Abhishek Chaudhary Charu Dwivedi, Mohit Chawla, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* J. Mater. Chem. C, 3, 6962, 2015. (IF=4.69).
- “One PotSynthesis of Doxorubicin Loaded Gold nanoparticles for Sustained Drug Release.” Abhishek Chaudhary, Charu Dwivedi, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* RSC Advances, 5, 97330, 2015. (IF=3.84).
- “Anisotropic Gold Nanoparticle for the Highly Sensitive Colorimetric Detection of Glucose in Human Urine” Abhishek Chaudhary, Abhishek Gupta and Chayan K Nandi* RSC Advance 5, 40849, 2015. (IF=3.84).
- “Kinetics of protein absorption on gold nanoparticle with variable protein structure and nanoparticle size.” Syamantak Khan, Abhishek Gupta, Navneet C. Verma, Chayan K Nandi* J. Chem. Phys 143, 164709, 2015 (IF=2.95).
- “Gold Nanoparticle Chitosan Composite Hydrogel Beads Shows Efficient Removal of Methyl Parathion from Waste Water” Charu Dwivedi, Abhishek Gupta, Abhishek Chaudhary and Chayan K Nandi* RSC Advance 4, 39830, 2014. (IF=3.84).
- “Orientational Switching of Protein Conformation as a Function of Nanoparticle Curvature and Their Geometrical Fitting.” Syamantak khan, Abhishek Gupta, Abhishek Chaudhary and Chayan K Nandi* J. Chem. Phys. 141, 048707-1, 2014 (IF=2.95).
- “Morphological effect of gold nanoparticles on the adsorption of bovine serum albumin.” Abhishek Chaudhary, Abhishek Gupta, Syamantak khan and Chayan K Nandi* Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 16 (38), 20471, 2014. (IF=4.49).
- “Functional Molecular Lumino-Materials to Probe Serum Albumins: Solid Phase Selective Staining Through Noncovalent Fluorescent Labeling” Gourab Dey, Abhishek Gupta, Trinetra Mukherjee, Pankaj Gaur, Abhishek Chaudhary, Subhra Kanti Mukhopadhyay, Chayan K Nandi* and Subrata Ghosh. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 6, 10231, 2014 (IF=7.2).
- “Optimizing the underlying parameters for protein-nanoparticle interaction: advancement in theoretical simulation” Syamantak Khan and Chayan K Nandi* Nanotechnology Reviews, 3(4), 347, 2014. (IF=2.04).
- “A new liquid droplet laser desorption source combined with supersonic jet expansion: Application to Phenol and its water clusters” Chayan K Nandi, Hans Dieter- Birth, and Bernhard Brutschy, Z.Phys. Chem, 228 (4-5), 449, 2014. (IF=1.35).
- “Controlling the Fate of Protein Corona by Tuning Surface Properties of Nanoparticles.” Syamantak Khan, Abhishek Gupta, and Chayan K Nandi* J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 4, 3747, 2013. (IF=8.54).
- “Structurally tuned benzo[h]chromene derivative as Pb2+-selective fluorescence ‘Turn-ON’ fluorescence sensor for living cell imaging.” S. Sinha, R. R. Koner, S. Kumar, J. Mathew, A. Roy, S. K. Mukhopadhyay, Chayan K Nandi* Ghosh. Journal of Luminescence, 143, 335, 2013. (IF=2.7).
- “Carboxylated ‘locking unit’ directed ratiometric probe design, synthesis and application in selective recognition of Fe3+/Cu2+.” Sinha, S. Kumar, R. R. Koner, J. Mathew, Chayan K Nandi* S. Ghosh, RSC Advances, 3, 6271, 2013. (IF=3.84).
- “2-Aminopyridine derivative as fluorescence ‘On–Off’ molecular switch for selective detection of Fe3+/Hg2+ ” Rik Rani Koner, Sougata Sinha, Sunil Kumar, Chayan K Nandi * Subrata Ghosh Tett. Lett. 53, 2302, 2012. (IF=2.38).
- “Binding of hairpin polyamides to DNA studied by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy for DNA nanoarchitectures.” Chayan K Nandi, Partha P Parui, Thorsten L Schmidt, Alexander Heckel, and Bernhard Brutschy Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 390, 1595, 2008. (IF=3.58).
- “Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy at single molecule level on the Tat-TAR complex and its inhibitors.” Chayan K Nandi, Partha P Parui, Bernhard Brutschy, Ute Scheffer and Michael Göbel Biopolymers 89, 17, 2008. (IF=2.38).
- “Polyamide struts for DNA architectures.” Schmidt T. L., Chayan K Nandi, Rasched, Partha P Parui, Bernhard Brutschy, Michael Famulok, and Alexander Heckel: Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 46, 4382, 2007 (IF=11.26).
- “Conformational effects and level mixing in a doubly hydrogen-bonded 1:1 dimer of acetic acid and 3-fluorobenzoic acid.” Chayan K Nandi, and Tapas Chakraborty J. Indian Inst. Sci. 85, 367, 2005. (IF=0.86).
- “Identification of isomeric dimers of o-fluorobenzoic acid using laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy.” Chayan K Nandi, Amit K Samanta and Tapas Chakraborty Chem. Phys. Lett. 416, 261, 2005. (IF=2.33).
- “Vibrational coupling in carboxylic acid dimers.” Chayan K Nandi, Montu K Hazra and Tapas Chakraborty J. Chem. Phys. 123, 124310-1, 2005. (IF=2.95).
- “Origin of methyl torsional barrier in 1-Methyl 2-(1H)-Pyridone.” Biswajit Pradhan, Vhanu P Singh, Chayan K Nandi, Tapas Chakraborty and Tapanendu Kundu J. Chem. Phys. 122, 204323-1, 2005. (IF=2.95).
- “High-resolution Ultraviolet Spectroscopy of p-fluorostyrene water: evidence for a s-type hydrogen-bonded dimer.” S. Chervenkov, P. O. Wang, J. E. Braun, S. Georgiev, H. J. Neusser Chayan K Nandi, and Chakraborty T.: J. Chem. Phys. 122, 244312-1, 2005. (IF=2.95).
- “Hydrogen bond mediated rotor-ring coupling in acetic acid-benzoic acid mixed dimer.” Chayan K Nandi, Montu K Hazra and Tapas Chakraborty J. Chem. Phys. 121, 7562, 2004. (IF=2.95).
- “Conformational effects on vibronic spectra and excited state dynamics of 3- fluorobenzoic acid dimer.” Chayan K Nandi, Montu K Hazra and Tapas Chakraborty J. Chem. Phys. 121, 5261, 2004. (IF=2.95).
- “Hydrogen bond–induced vibronic mode mixing in benzoic acid dimer: A laser- induced fluorescence study.” Chayan K Nandi., and Tapas hakraborty T. J. Chem. Phys. 120, 8521, 2004. (IF=2.95).
- “Structure and electronic spectroscopy of naphthalene-acenaphthene van der Waals dimer: Hole burning, dispersed fluorescence, and quantum chemistry calculation.” Aloke Das, Chayan K Nandi, and Tapas Chakraborty J. Chem. Phys.118, 9589, 2003. (IF=2.95).
- “Exciplex emission from the mixed dimer of naphthalene and 2-cyanonaphthalene in a supersonic jet.” Aloke Das, Krishna K Mahato, Chayan K Nandi, Tapas Chakraborty, Shridhar Gadre, and Nikhil A Gokhale Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 4, 2162, 2002. (IF=4.49).
The Research Team
Present PhD Students
Navneet Chandra Verma, (2014-Till date)
Chethana, (2016-Till date)
Aditya Yadav, (2018-Till date)
Raktim Bhattacharya, (2018-Till date)
Present Master Students
Neeraj Soni, (2017-2019)
Gayatri Batra, (2017-2019)
Sakshi Tyagi, (2017-2019)
Graduated PhD Students
Dr. Abhishek Gupta, Ph.D (2017) : Post Doctoral Fellow at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi , India.
Dr. Abhishek Chaudhary, Ph.D (2016) : Assistant Professor in J.P. University, India
Graduated Master Students
Kush Kaushik, (2016-2018)
Richa Garg, (2016-2018)
Shivendra Singh, (2016-2018)
Sanjhal Jain, (2015-2017)
Akshita Sharma, (2015-2017) : Pursuing PhD in Germany
Prashant Gupta, (2014-2016)
Post Doctoral fellow
Dr. Charu Diwedi, Postdoctoral researcher (2013-2016) : Assistant Professor in Doon University, India
M. Tech. project Students
Ms. Shivani Mishra (Feb -Sept 2015)
Mr. Praveen George (Feb 2012-Sep 2012)
Ms. Mahima Sharma (Nov. 2011-March 2012)
Ms. Jayashree Parthiban (June. 2017- July 2017)
Mr. Hirakjyoti Mahanta (June. 2016- July 2016)
Ms. Ida Melody K S (June. 2016- July 2016)
Mr. Souvik Ghosh (June. 2015- July 2015)
Ms. Srija Srinivasan (June. 2015- July 2015)
Ms.Pooja Mehta(June. 2014- July 2014)
Ms.Shalini Tiwari (June. 2014- July 2014)
Ms.Reema Gupta (June. 2014- July 2014)
Mr. Syed Ahmed Raza Rizvi (June. 2013- July 2013)
Ms.Heena Mittal (June. 2013- July 2013)
Ms.Snigdha Madhukumali(June. 2012- July 2012)
Ms.Aksita Dhankhar (June. 2012- July 2012)
Nikon Confocal Microscope
Self Build Obejctive-TIRF SMFRET SETUP
SM Localization-STORM-SOFI SETUP
Dr. Chayan Kanti Nandi
School of Basic Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
HP 175001, India